Monday, May 10, 2010

Rose's Menu Part 1

This was one of the first YamDaisy menus I was given, and I have needed to wait for the seasons to roll back around to be right for it!
I asked Rose for a menu that would suit the YamDaisy Cafe that provides delicious everyday food made from scratch. When a customer comes in they find only 4 dishes to choose from! Therefore it is important that those four dishes cover a wide range of tastes and appetites.
There is always a soup, so customers know that wherever there is a YamDaisy Cafe open, there will be a fresh soup made from local, seasonal ingredients at a low price.
Then comes two mains and a fruit based dessert is the fourth dish, for those who feel that a meal just isn't a meal without one!


ROSE'S AUTUMN MENU
SOUP: Pumpkin Soup with a Fresh Bread Roll
MAIN 1: Macaroni Cheese and a Green Salad
MAIN 2: Chicken Caesar Salad Meal-in-a-bowl
FRUIT BASED DESSERT: Apple Crumble and Custard

Pumpkin Soup with a Fresh Bread Roll
There are a hundred ways to make a Pumpkin Soup, but this one is my all time favourite because of the gorgeous colour and taste the added red pepper give and the extra body from the little red lentils. It is also a supremely easy soup. And I made it up myself!
I start by putting 1/4 cup of the little salmon coloured split lentils to soak,  so they will cook really quickly.

Heat a tablespoon of olive oil and add
1 onion chopped,
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large red pepper flesh, chopped,
(and maybe some fresh chili pepper, chopped)
Fry gently while you are chopping up about half a kilo of pumpkin in to chunks. I use Jap, a small dense sweet pumpkin, but any lovely pumpkin (or butternut) would be good.
Add the pumpkin and let it fry a bit while you rinse the 1/4 of a cup of the little salmon coloured skinned lentil you have been soaking.
Add them with a litre of vegetable stock and bring to the boil.
Simmer until the lentils and pumpkin are soft, about 20 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. When cool enough, blend til smooth.
Reheat and serve with a fresh roll and a little pat of butter!

Macaroni Cheese and a Green Salad
I think Macaroni Cheese might come up a few times in YamDaisy Menus, it is such a wonderful homey comfort food and I am discovering that there are lots of different ways to make it.
I was delighted to see this delicious version on 3 Hungry Tummies blog, http://3hungrytummies.blogspot.com/2010/04/mac-and-cheese-from-tummies-kitchen.html 
I think it would work beautifully here. What a treat of a presentation it is! And I love that the peas are mixed in.

I imagine presenting the salad in a separate low plate to compliment the bowl of hot macaroni. I would use all the fresh greens that are growing now the heat of summer is passed: rocket, sorrel, coriander, lettuce, cress, chives ~ and then I would brighten them up with some marigold petals and maybe a couple of fine strips of juicy carrot. Just the lightest dressing!
Yum!

I think if I went into the YamDaisy Cafe on the day this menu was served, I would eat my Macaroni Cheese and Salad, and then takeaway Soup and Roll to have later. But remember, you can get a 2 course meal for $10, which could be soup as a starter and the Macaroni Cheese as a main.

There are two other menu choices for this day, and I will present them in my next blog. I am looking forward to revisiting the Caesar Salad as an Autumn dish, and O yum, Apple Crumble! Jump to it here!

For more about the YamDaisy Cafe and the YamDaisy Menu check the website.
(I am updating it, it is taking me a long time!)

13 comments:

  1. sounds eay healthy and really flavourful.So loving the idea of the pumpkin soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks so smooth and yummy! Nice to go with a couple of slices of artisan bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, the menu sounds wonderful. The pumpkin soup looks delish. It's not even lunch time yet, but I think I'm ready for a visit. :)
    Have a good day. Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm, that pumpkin soup looks wonderful. I think I'd have it with the green salad and dessert. Not that the mac and cheese doesn't also look delicious, but there's no way I'm skipping dessert, and my tummy can only fit so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those two dishes are two of my favourites! I love pumpkin soup and macaroni cheese! I will have to try making them!
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pumpkin! I hope I'll get to visit your Cafe one day.

    By the way I submitted weeks ago a recipe for the mariecook appeal. But I got no reply. I wish Jme community can really help her.

    Thanks for the birthday greet and for visiting my blog regularly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicous recipe, looks so warm and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely soup and I must say I've never met anyone who doesn't like mac n' cheese. The entire meal speaks to home and comfort. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like wonderful comfort food which I always have an appetite for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful menu!The soup looks rich and smooth!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that soup looks so delicious! The color is just perfect! Love all of your menu and recipes!

    ReplyDelete