Thursday, July 21, 2011

Beetroot Pasta Sauce!

I have seen a couple of recipes for using beetroot in a sauce, and they were typical, straightforward pasta sauces using beets along with tomatoes.
I couldn't really imagine what such a sauce would taste like: but I loved the colour!

So I made a pretty typical pasta sauce by putting in my blender tomatoes (from a tin) onion, garlic, olive oil and a little chilli, plus the two cooked beetroots (see here) with their skins and stalks rubbed off. I blended them all up and then popped them in a saucepan to cook for half an hour. The sauce spat a bit and made glorious coloured splatters all over my stove, but other than that - it couldn't be easier!
While I cooked up the pasta (big tubes which I broke into thirds to make them more manageable) I also cooked the beet leaves by slicing them thinly and braising them in a little butter and the water left on them from washing them.
The walnuts made a lovely garnish!

Then I ate it. YUM! I couldn't imagine the tastes of tomato and beetroots together, but it was glorious! It was a delicious comforting tasty sauce that was beautifully balanced by the greens and walnuts. Simple and very special! I can't wait to wow some visitors with this dish!

Highly recommended!
(Plate when finished!)


7 comments:

  1. Sounds (& looks) scrumptious! The walnut garnish makes me wonder what a beet leaves and walnut pesto would be like. Would the beet leaves be strong enough to balance the power of the walnuts? I'll let you know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo interesting Chris! I think you might have a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome, I am going to try it for dinner one night this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should try this... Beet color looks brilliant. Sure it was yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure what your new sauce would taste like. I don't like beetroot but it could taste good with the tomatoes. I will have to try it as it looks delicious and good for you!
    Lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exactly what I thought Lucy, I am so glad I tried it.
    Maybe I was more curious (and hungry) than inventive!
    I hope you like it Luckiest1! And you too Joanie!

    ReplyDelete